Monday, November 25, 2013

Visit to Dublin

Visit to Dublin
November 6-10, 2013
I hadn't originally planned to visit Ireland while I was abroad, since I have already been 6 or 7 times, but when my roommate Alec won a free trip to Ireland with a company called Bus2Alps, I figured I might as well join.  It was my grandma's 92nd birthday in September and my uncle John's Birthday that weekend so I basically had to go.  I got to see my Aunt Elma, Uncles Paul and John and of course Granny Carey!  They were all so great organizing my hostel and taking great care of me, driving Alec and I around Dublin and Wicklow for a great tour and gave us some of the best meals of the semester.  Was a change of pace from Barcelona, but it was one of the best weekends I've had and was super glad to spend it with family!

 Alec and I at Powerscourt waterfall.  Hadn't been here since I was about 10 years old
 Paid a visit to Bono from U2's house in Dalkey
 Alec and I outside of the US embassy in Phoenix Park
 Stopped for a quick toasted special and beer in Dalkey with Granny
Stumbled upon the house we used to house swap for 10 years ago! Fun memories at this place 
Aunt Elma taking me bar hopping our first night in Dublin 
 Grafton Street-La Rambla of Dublin
 Front Entrance to Trinity College
 Trinity College
 Trinity Again
 And Again
And Again... 
 Street Performer on grafton street
St. Stephen's Green- a beautiful park in the center of Dublin, similar to Central park but just not as big
St. Stephen's Green 
 St. Stephen's Green
 St. Patrick's Cathedral
Guiness Storehouse-St James Gate 
Couldn't have spent a weekend in Ireland without authentic fish and chips! 
The Spyre 
Dublin Post Office 
 Distant View of the Spire, O'Connell Street
Statue of O'Connell on his street 
Ireland Museum of Architecture and History 
 And the view from the second floor
 This one is for you mom! Know you like these, and have no idea how I recognized this shop from the outside.
Paid a visit to the Book of Kells, a religious text from the year 800 and is one of Ireland's most famous artifacts, kept at the Trinity College Old library.  I got yelled at for taking this picture and it came out blurry anyways, but worth it!
 Trinity Long Library

Probably would have gone to college here if I lived in Ireland! 
 Dublin Castle-Didn't pay to go into the museum/other side but here is the outside!
 ChristChurch Cathedral-didn't pay to go inside here either, but great architecture!
Arthur Guinness' 9000, yes 9000, year lease on the Guinness Brewery Property
 Got to pour my own pint of Guinness...
...And a perfect one at that! 
 Views from the Gravity Bar at the top of the Storehouse, and my Guinness!
Another view of the St James gate 
 Not a bad view from my hostel! That's the River Liffy out in front, O'Connell Street to the left and Temple Bar directly across
 And this one is for you Dad, thought you'd be jealous of a nice pint of Smithwicks
 Papal Cross in Phoenix Park
Some nice greenery and a herd of deer in the middle of Phoenix Park, in the city of Dublin 
Aras an Uachtarain-the Irish President's house, and just like the White House
Great View from our scenic drive through county Wicklow to Powerscourt 
 Another shot of the Waterfall at powerscourt
 Coastline just outside of Dublin, water looked cold!
Another view of the coastline up by Dalkey 
River Liffy, taken from just outside of my Hostel 
Family+Alec dinner at Trocadero Restaurant, best meal I've had in Europe! Would definitely recommend. 
And last but not least, Granny Carey and I

No comments:

Post a Comment